Saturday, April 12, 2008

Big Splat


After almost four years of running the Lower Big Sandy and walking around Big Splat the opportunity and motivation finally presented itself to skip the portage. The level was 5.7 and I figured that if I didn’t run it then, then I probably never would. Sean, Jeff and I enjoyed a leisurely lower water paddle down and got out to scout. The Horseshoe certainly looked a lot friendlier at this level and after watching Sean’s line I was nervous but ready. The approach provided some challenge in setting up at the right angle but ultimately didn’t posse much difficulty. I rode up high on the left bank and came off the final ledge of the Horseshoe with ease. I was surprised though just how much the flow pushes to the right and had to paddle hard to get back into the left eddy. The final drop went smoothly and was a lot of fun. I had a great line, landing in what felt like a fluffy pile of kittens. Definitely a great drop!

It felt great to finally have the skill and confidence to run this rapid, even if at fairly low flow. I don’t see myself wanting to run the Horseshoe much higher but the second drop certainly adds a lot to an already amazing creek.


Maggie running Big Splat

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Jenny Right-Side said...

Awesome!! Congrats Maggie, you must be stoked!
Jen

9:51 PM  
Blogger OC said...

You're a crazy lady. Congratulations.

~Matt

7:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

hit counter code
low cost web hosting


Locations of visitors to this page